Tag, Poke and Follow
to your heart's content.
New Chair at Wysing Arts
Published: 15th August 2011.
Wysing Arts Centre is delighted to announce that Roger Malbert, Senior Curator of Hayward Touring Exhibitions at the Hayward Gallery, London is to take up the post of Chair of the Board of Trustees for the organisation. Roger Malbert studied at Cambridge School of Art and began his career at Kettle's Yard in Cambridge, so has strong ties to the city. He is responsible for an acclaimed series of artist-curated exhibitions by Michael Craig-Martin, Susan Hiller, Richard Wentworth, Tacita Dean and Mark Wallinger, and for the five-yearly touring exhibition, the British Art Show. He will lead Wysing Arts Centre as the organisation consolidates its work, recent highlights of which include becoming part of Tate's national network, Plus Tate, securing Arts Council England National Portfolio funding for the next three years, and offering a springboard for the careers of many artists who have gone on to develop high profile exhibitions and projects. The announcement comes at a time when Wysing is also delighted to launch a new high-level group of key professionals from a variety of sectors, the Wysing Ambassador Circle. Wysing's Ambassador Circle is a group of senior professionals who will advocate for Wysing, as well as share their expertise and contacts. The following individuals are the founding members, which Wysing hopes to grow over the coming years into an influential network:
- Tim Eastop, arts consultant and producer
- Jessica Lack, arts writer for national and international publications
- Jason Martin, associate, HawkinsBrown (and architect for Wysing-s capital project)
- Tom Morton, curator, Hayward Gallery
- Hugh Parnell, business advisor and entrepreneur
- Hugh Pilkington, curator, collector and architect
- Alex Plant, Executive Director: Environment Services, Cambridgeshire County Council
- William Topham, landowner
- Alistair Wayne, Managing Director, Media Managers, Cambridge
- Max Wigram, gallerist
- Rob Wilson, architecture curator and Editor, Block Magazine
Roger Malbert says, "It's an honour to be appointed Chair of the Board of Wysing Arts Centre, and a particular privilege to be taking on this role at a time when the organisation is flourishing and evolving with confidence into one of the country's leading centres for research and innovation in the visual arts. With the assured backing of the Arts Council for the next three years at least and partnerships with Tate, the Royal College of Art and peer organisations across the region and beyond, this will be a period for adventurous thinking and expanding horizons nationally and internationally. I am excited at the prospect of playing a part in helping the Centre to fulfil its potential."